第51章 陀螺与球 The Top and Ball(1 / 2)

《陀螺与球》,1844 年

the top and ball, 1844

一个陀螺和一个小球一起放在一个盒子里,和其他玩具放在一起,陀螺对球说:“我们住在同一个盒子里,我们结婚好吗?”

A whipping top and a little ball lay together in a box, among other toys, and the top said to the ball, “Shall we be married, as we live in the simple box?”

但是这个球,穿着摩洛哥皮革做的外衣,自视甚高,就像其他年轻小姐一样,甚至都不屑于回答。

but the ball, which wore a dress of morocco leather, and thought as much of herself as any other young lady, would not even condescend to reply.

第二天,这些玩具所属的小男孩来了,他把陀螺涂成了红黄相间的颜色,还在中间钉了一颗铜头钉,这样当陀螺旋转起来的时候,看起来非常漂亮。

the next day came the little boy to whom the playthings belonged, and he painted the top red and yellow, and drove a brass-headed nail into the middle, so that while the top was spinning round it looked splendid.

“看看我。” 陀螺对球说。

“Look at me,” said the top to the ball.

“你现在怎么说?

我们彼此订婚好吗?

我们会很般配的;你能弹起来,我能跳舞。

没有人会比我们更幸福的。”

“what do you say now?

Shall we be engaged to each other?

we should suit so well; you spring, and I dance.

No one could be happier than we should be.”

“真的吗!你这么认为?

也许你不知道我的父亲和母亲是摩洛哥拖鞋,而且我的身体里有一块西班牙软木塞。”

“Indeed! do you think so?

perhaps you do not know that my father and mother were morocco slippers, and that I have a Spanish cork in my body.”

“是的;但我是用桃花心木做的。” 陀螺说。

“Yes; but I am made of mahogany,” said the top.

“是少校亲自车制我的。

他自己有一台车床,对他来说这是一项很大的消遣。”

“the major himself turned me.

he has a turning lathe of his own, and it is a great amusement to him.”

“我能相信吗?”

球问道。

“can I believe it?”

asked the ball.

“如果我没说实话,就让我再也转不起来吧。” 陀螺说。

“may I never be whipped again,” said the top, “if I am not telling you the truth.”

“你确实很会为自己说话。” 球说;“但我不能接受你的求婚。

我差不多已经和一只燕子订婚了。”

“You certainly know how to speak for yourself very well,” said the ball; “but I cannot accept your proposal.

I am almost engaged to a swallow.

每次我飞到空中,他就会把头探出鸟巢,问:‘你愿意吗?’而我已经在心里默默地回答‘愿意’了,这就跟已经订了一半婚差不多啦;不过我保证永远不会忘记你。”

Every time I fly up in the air, he puts his head out of the nest, and says, ‘will you?’ and I have said, ‘Yes,’ to myself silently, and that is as good as being half engaged; but I will promise never to forget you.”

“这对我可没什么好处。” 陀螺说;之后它们就再也没和对方说过话。

“much good that will be to me,” said the top; and they spoke to each other no more.

第二天,小男孩把球拿了出去。

Next day the ball was taken out by the boy.

陀螺看到它像鸟儿一样高高地飞在空中,直到完全看不见了。

the top saw it flying high in the air, like a bird, till it would go quite out of sight.

每次它落回地面再弹起时,都会比之前跳得更高,要么是因为它渴望向上飞,要么是因为它身体里有块西班牙软木塞的缘故。

Each time it came back, as it touched the earth, it gave a higher leap than before, either because it longed to fly upwards, or from having a Spanish cork in its body.

但第九次它飞到空中后,就再也没回来。

but the ninth time it rose in the air, it remained away, and did not return.