第15章 梦神 Ole-Luk-Oie, the Dream-God(2 / 2)

雅尔玛说。

said hjalmar.

就这样,他坐着去参加老鼠的婚礼了。

And so in this way he rode to the mouse’s wedding.

他们先到地板下面,然后穿过一条长长的通道,通道低得几乎容不下顶针通过,而整个通道都被朽木发出的磷光照亮。

First they went under the floor, and then passed through a long passage, which was scarcely high enough to allow the thimble to drive under, and the whole passage was lit up with the phosphorescent light of rotten wood.

“闻起来是不是很香?”

“does it not smell delicious?”

小老鼠拉着他往前走的时候问道。

asked the mouse, as she drew him along.

“墙壁和地板都涂了熏肉皮;

“the wall and the floor have been smeared with bacon - rind;

没有比这更好闻的了。”

nothing can be nicer.”

很快他们就到达了婚礼大厅。

Very soon they arrived at the bridal hall.

右边站着所有的小母老鼠,它们窃窃私语,咯咯傻笑,好像在互相打趣。

on the right stood all the little lady - mice, whispering and giggling, as if they were making game of each other.

左边是公老鼠们,它们用前爪捋着胡须;

to the left were the gentlemen - mice, stroking their whiskers with their fore - paws;

在大厅中央可以看到新婚的一对老鼠,它们并肩站在一个空心的奶酪皮里,互相亲吻着,所有的目光都聚焦在它们身上;

and in the centre of the hall could be seen the bridal pair, standing side by side, in a hollow cheese - rind, and kissing each other, while all eyes were upon them;

因为它们已经订过婚了,很快就要举行婚礼。

for they had already been betrothed, and were soon to be married.

越来越多的朋友不断到来,直到老鼠们几乎把彼此踩死;

more and more friends kept arriving, till the mice were nearly treading each other to death;

因为新婚的一对老鼠现在站在门口,谁也无法进出。

for the bridal pair now stood in the doorway, and none could pass in or out.

房间像通道一样也涂了熏肉皮,这就是给客人们提供的所有点心了。

the room had been rubbed over with bacon - rind, like the passage, which was all the refreshment offered to the guests.

但甜点的话,它们拿出了一颗豌豆,新郎新娘中的一只老鼠在上面咬出了它们名字的首字母。

but for dessert they produced a pea, on which a mouse belonging to the bridal pair had bitten the first letters of their names.

这是很不寻常的东西。

this was something quite unmon.

所有的老鼠都说这是一场非常美好的婚礼,它们受到了非常愉快的款待。

All the mice said it was a very beautiful wedding, and that they had been very agreeably entertained.

之后,雅尔玛回家了。

After this, hjalmar returned home.

他确实参加了盛大的社交活动;

he had certainly been in grand society;

但他不得不爬到一个房间下面,并且把自己变得足够小才能穿上锡兵的制服。

but he had been obliged to creep under a room, and to make himself small enough to wear the uniform of a tin soldier.

星期五

FRIdAY

“真难以置信,有那么多老人晚上都希望我去,” 奥勒 - 卢科伊说,“尤其是那些做过错事的人。”

“It is incredible how many old people there are who would be glad to have me at night,” said ole - Luk - oie, “especially those who have done something wrong.

“‘好心的小奥勒,’他们对我说,‘我们闭不上眼睛,整夜都醒着,看到我们所有的恶行像小恶魔一样坐在我们的床上,还往我们身上泼热水。

‘Good little ole,’ say they to me, ‘we cannot close our eyes, and we lie awake the whole night and see all our evil deeds sitting on our beds like little imps, and sprinkling us with hot water.

你能来把它们赶走吗,这样我们就能好好睡一觉了?’然后他们深深地叹口气说,‘我们很乐意为此付钱给你。

will you e and drive them away, that we may have a good night’s rest?’ and then they sigh so deeply and say, ‘we would gladly pay you for it.

晚安,奥勒 - 卢科伊,钱就在窗台上。’但是我从不为金钱做事。”

Good - night, ole - Luk, the money lies on the window.’ but I never do anything for gold.”

“我们今晚做什么呢?”

“what shall we do to - night?”

雅尔玛问道。

asked hjalmar.

“我不知道你是否愿意去参加另一场婚礼,” 他回答道,“虽然这和我们昨晚看到的那场完全不同。

“I do not know whether you would care to go to another wedding,” he replied, “although it is quite a different affair to the one we saw last night.

你姐姐的大玩偶,打扮得像个男人,名叫赫尔曼,打算和玩偶伯莎结婚。

Your sister’s large doll, that is dressed like a man, and is called herman, intends to marry the doll bertha.

今天也是玩偶们的生日,他们会收到很多礼物。”

It is also the dolls’ birthday, and they will receive many presents.”

“是的,我已经知道了,” 雅尔玛说,“我姐姐总是在她的玩偶需要新衣服的时候让它们过生日或者举办婚礼;

“Yes, I know that already,” said hjalmar, “my sister always allows her dolls to keep their birthdays or to have a wedding when they require new clothes;

我敢肯定,这种事已经发生过一百次了。”

that has happened already a hundred times, I am quite sure.”

“是的,可能是这样;

“Yes, so it may;

但是今晚是第一百零一次婚礼,一旦举行了这次婚礼,就必须是最后一次了,所以这次会极其盛大。

but to - night is the hundred and first wedding, and when that has taken place it must be the last, therefore this is to be extremely beautiful.

只要看看就知道了。”

only look.”

雅尔玛看向桌子,那里立着纸板做的小玩偶屋,所有的窗户都亮着灯,锡兵们在屋前列队举枪致敬。

hjalmar looked at the table, and there stood the little card - board doll’s house, with lights in all the windows, and drawn up before it were the tin soldiers presenting arms.

新婚夫妇坐在地板上,靠着桌腿,看起来若有所思,这是有充分理由的。

the bridal pair were seated on the floor, leaning against the leg of the table, looking very thoughtful, and with good reason.

然后奥勒 - 卢科伊穿上祖母的黑色长袍为他们主持了婚礼。

then ole - Luk - oie dressed up in grandmother’s black gown married them.

婚礼一结束,房间里所有的家具就一起唱起了一首美妙的歌,这首歌是由铅笔创作的,曲调是军队的归营号。

As soon as the ceremony was concluded, all the furniture in the room joined in singing a beautiful song, which had been posed by the lead pencil, and which went to the melody of a military tattoo.

“风中传来欢乐的声音,

当婚姻的仪式将

一对安静恩爱的伴侣结合,

虽然是用小山羊皮制成,却光滑又美丽!

万岁!即使他们又聋又瞎,

天气不好我们也要歌唱。”

“what merry sounds are on the wind,

As marriage rites together bind

A quiet and a loving pair,

though formed of kid, yet smooth and fair!

hurrah! If they are deaf and blind,

we’ll sing, though weather prove unkind.”

现在到了送礼物的时候;

And now came the present;

但是新婚夫妇没有东西吃,因为爱情就是他们的食物。

but the bridal pair had nothing to eat, for love was to be their food.

“我们是去乡间别墅,还是去旅行呢?”

“Shall we go to a country house, or travel?”

新郎问道。

asked the bridegroom.

然后他们向飞过很远路程的燕子和院子里养过五窝小鸡的老母鸡请教。

then they consulted the swallow who had travelled so far, and the old hen in the yard, who had brought up five broods of chickens.

燕子向他们讲述温暖的国家,那里葡萄成串地挂在葡萄藤上,空气轻柔温和,还有那些色彩比我们能想象的还要美丽的山脉。

And the swallow talked to them of warm countries, where the grapes hang in large clusters on the vines, and the air is soft and mild, and about the mountains glowing with colors more beautiful than we can think of.

“但是那里没有我们这儿的红甘蓝,” 母鸡说,“我曾经带着我的小鸡们在乡下待了一整个夏天,那里有一个大沙坑,我们可以在里面随意走动和刨土。

“but they have no red cabbage like we have,” said the hen, “I was once in the country with my chickens for a whole summer, there was a large sand - pit, in which we could walk about and scratch as we liked.

然后我们走进一个花园,里面种着红甘蓝;

then we got into a garden in which grew red cabbage;

哦,那是多么美味啊,我想不出还有什么比这更可口的了。”

oh, how nice it was, I cannot think of anything more delicious.”

“但是一棵甘蓝菜梗和另一棵完全一样。” 燕子说;

“but one cabbage stalk is exactly like another,” said the swallow;

“而且我们这儿经常天气不好。”

“and here we have often bad weather.”

“是的,但是我们已经习惯了。” 母鸡说。

“Yes, but we are accustomed to it,” said the hen.

“但是这里很冷,有时候还会结冰。”

“but it is so cold here, and freezes sometimes.”

“寒冷的天气对甘蓝有好处。” 母鸡说;

“cold weather is good for cabbages,” said the hen;

“而且我们这儿有时候也很暖和。

“besides we do have it warm here sometimes.

四年前,我们有一个持续了五个多星期的夏天,热得人几乎喘不过气来。

Four years ago, we had a summer that lasted more than five weeks, and it was so hot one could scarcely breathe.

而且在这个国家我们没有有毒的动物,也没有强盗。

And then in this country we have no poisonous animals, and we are free from robbers.

不认为我们国家是所有国家中最好的人一定很坏。

he must be wicked who does not consider our country the finest of all lands.

不应该允许他在这里生活。”

he ought not to be allowed to live here.”

然后母鸡哭得很伤心,说:“我也旅行过。

And then the hen wept very much and said, “I have also travelled.

我曾经在笼子里走了十二英里,那根本不是愉快的旅行。”

I once went twelve miles in a coop, and it was not pleasant travelling at all.”

“这只母鸡是个明智的女人。” 玩偶伯莎说。

“the hen is a sensible woman,” said the doll bertha.

“我不想翻山越岭地旅行,只是上去又下来。

“I don’t care for travelling over mountains, just to go up and e down again.

不,让我们去大门前的沙坑,然后在甘蓝菜园里散散步吧。”

No, let us go to the sand - pit in front of the gate, and then take a walk in the cabbage garden.”

于是他们就这么决定了。

And so they settled it.

星期六

SAtURdAY

“我还能再听些故事吗?”

“Am I to hear any more stories?”

小雅尔玛一被奥勒 - 卢科伊哄睡着就问道。

asked little hjalmar, as soon as ole - Luk - oie had sent him to sleep.

“今晚我们没时间了。” 他说着,在孩子上方撑开了他最漂亮的伞。

“we shall have no time this evening,” said he, spreading out his prettiest umbrella over the child.

“看看这些中国人。” 然后整把伞看起来就像一个大瓷碗,上面有蓝色的树和尖顶的桥,桥上站着小中国人在点头。

“Look at these chinese,” and then the whole umbrella appeared like a large china bowl, with blue trees and pointed bridges, upon which stood little chinamen nodding their heads.

“我们必须为明天早晨把整个世界变得美丽,” 奥勒 - 卢科伊说,“因为明天是假日,是星期天。

“we must make all the world beautiful for to - morrow morning,” said ole - Luk - oie, “for it will be a holiday, it is Sunday.

我现在必须到教堂的尖塔去,看看住在那儿的小精灵们是否把钟擦亮了,这样钟声就会悦耳动听。

I must now go to the church steeple and see if the little sprites who live there have polished the bells, so that they may sound sweetly.

然后我必须到田野里去,看看风是否把草和树叶上的灰尘吹走了,而我必须做的最困难的任务,就是摘下所有的星星并把它们擦亮。

then I must go into the fields and see if the wind has blown the dust from the grass and the leaves, and the most difficult task of all which I have to do, is to take down all the stars and brighten them up.

我得先给它们编号,然后才能把它们放在我的围裙里,还得给我摘取它们的地方编号,这样它们才能回到正确的洞里,否则它们就待不住,我们就会看到很多流星,因为它们会一个接一个地落下来。”

I have to number them first before I put them in my apron, and also to number the places from which I take them, so that they may go back into the right holes, or else they would not remain, and we should have a number of falling stars, for they would all tumble down one after the other.”

“听着!卢科伊先生,” 挂在雅尔玛卧室墙上的一幅旧画像说道。

“hark ye! mr.

Luk - oie,” said an old portrait which hung on the wall of hjalmar’s bedroom.

“你认识我吗?

“do you know me?

我是雅尔玛的曾祖父。

I am hjalmar’s great - grandfather.

我感谢你给这孩子讲故事,但是你不要混淆他的观念。

I thank you for telling the boy stories, but you must not confuse his ideas.

星星是不能从天上摘下来擦亮的;

the stars cannot be taken down from the sky and polished;

它们是像我们地球一样的球体,这对它们来说是件好事。”

they are spheres like our earth, which is a good thing for them.”

“谢谢你,老曾祖父,” 奥勒 - 卢科伊说。

“thank you, old great - grandfather,” said ole - Luk - oie.

“谢谢你;

“I thank you;

你可能是家族的长辈,毫无疑问你是的,但我比你年长。

you may be the head of the family, as no doubt you are, but I am older than you.

我是一个古老的异教徒。

I am an ancient heathen.

古罗马人和古希腊人把我称为梦神。

the old Romans and Greeks named me the dream - god.

我到过最高贵的人家,而且还会继续这样做;

I have visited the noblest houses, and continue to do so;

不过我知道如何与高低贵贱之人相处,现在你可以自己讲故事了:” 于是奥勒 - 卢科伊带着他的雨伞走了。

still I know how to conduct myself both to high and low, and now you may tell the stories yourself:” and so ole - Luk - oie walked off, taking his umbrellas with him.

“好吧,好吧,我想人永远不该发表意见。” 画像嘟囔着。

“well, well, one is never to give an opinion, I suppose,” grumbled the portrait.

然后它把雅尔玛吵醒了。

And it woke hjalmar.

星期天

SUNdAY

“晚上好。” 奥勒 - 卢科伊说。

“Good evening,” said ole - Luk - oie.

雅尔玛点了点头,然后跳下床,把他曾祖父的画像转到墙那面,这样它就不会像昨天那样打扰他们了。

hjalmar nodded, and then sprang out of bed, and turned his great - grandfather’s portrait to the wall, so that it might not interrupt them as it had done yesterday.

“现在,” 他说,“你得给我讲些关于长在一个豆荚里的五颗绿豌豆的故事;

“Now,” said he, “you must tell me some stories about five green peas that lived in one pod;

或者讲矢车菊向繁缕求爱的故事;

or of the chickseed that courted the chickweed;

或者讲织补针的故事,它因为自认为是绣花针就表现得非常骄傲。”

or of the darning needle, who acted so proudly because she fancied herself an embroidery needle.”

“好事太多也可能过犹不及。” 奥勒 - 卢科伊说。

“You may have too much of a good thing,” said ole - Luk - oie.

“你知道我最喜欢给你展示东西,所以我要给你看看我的兄弟。

“You know that I like best to show you something, so I will show you my brother.

他也叫奥勒 - 卢科伊,但他只拜访每个人一次,当他来的时候,他会把人放在他的马背上带走,在骑马的时候给他讲故事。

he is also called ole - Luk - oie but he never visits any one but once, and when he does e, he takes him away on his horse, and tells him stories as they ride along.

他只知道两个故事。

he knows only two stories.

其中一个美得惊人,世界上没有人能想象出与之类似的故事;

one of these is so wonderfully beautiful, that no one in the world can imagine anything at all like it;

但另一个却又丑陋又可怕,以至于无法描述。”

but the other is just as ugly and frightful, so that it would be impossible to describe it.”

然后奥勒 - 卢科伊把雅尔玛举到窗户边。

then ole - Luk - oie lifted hjalmar up to the window.

“看,现在你能看到我的兄弟,另一个奥勒 - 卢科伊;

“there now, you can see my brother, the other ole - Luk - oie;

他也叫死神。

he is also called death.

你看,他并不像图画书里描绘的那么坏;

You perceive he is not so bad as they represent him in picture books;

在那儿他是一具骷髅,但现在他的外套上绣着银线,他穿着华丽的轻骑兵制服,身后黑色的天鹅绒披风在马背上飘扬。

there he is a skeleton, but now his coat is embroidered with silver, and he wears the splendid uniform of a hussar, and a mantle of black velvet flies behind him, over the horse.

看,他骑得多快啊。”

Look, how he gallops along.”

雅尔玛看到这个奥勒 - 卢科伊骑马前行时,抱起老人和年轻人,把他们放在马背上带走。

hjalmar saw that as this ole - Luk - oie rode on, he lifted up old and young, and carried them away on his horse.

有些人他让坐在前面,有些人坐在后面,但总是先问:“成绩册怎么样?”

Some he seated in front of him, and some behind, but always inquired first, “how stands the mark - book?”

“好。” 他们都回答道。

“Good,” they all answered.

“是的,但让我自己看看。” 他回答道;

“Yes, but let me see for myself,” he replied;

于是他们不得不把成绩册交给他。

and they were obliged to give him the books.

然后所有成绩是 “非常好” 或者 “极好” 的人就坐在马的前面,听那个美丽的故事;

then all those who had “Very good,” or “Exceedingly good,” came in front of the horse, and heard the beautiful story;

而那些成绩册上写着 “中等” 或者 “还不错” 的人,就只能坐在后面,听那个可怕的故事。

while those who had “middling,” or “tolerably good,” in their books, were obliged to sit behind, and listen to the frightful tale.

他们颤抖着哭泣,想要从马上跳下来,但他们无法挣脱,因为他们似乎被固定在座位上了。

they trembled and cried, and wanted to jump down from the horse, but they could not get free, for they seemed fastened to the seat.

“哎呀,死神是个非常了不起的卢科伊。” 雅尔玛说。

“why, death is a most splendid Luk - oie,” said hjalmar.

“我一点也不怕他。”

“I am not in the least afraid of him.”

“如果你小心谨慎,保持一本良好行为记录册,你就不必怕他。” 奥勒 - 卢科伊说。

“You need have no fear of him,” said ole - Luk - oie, “if you take care and keep a good conduct book.”

“我觉得这很有教育意义。” 曾祖父的画像喃喃自语道。

“Now I call that very instructive,” murmured the great - grandfather’s portrait.

“有时候表达一下观点还是有用的;”

“It is useful sometimes to express an opinion;”

于是他非常满意。

so he was quite satisfied.

这些就是奥勒 - 卢科伊的一些所作所为和言论。

these are some of the doings and sayings of ole - Luk - oie.

我希望他今晚能亲自拜访你,再讲一些故事。

I hope he may visit you himself this evening, and relate some more.